I. Position Summary:
Ekso is hiring a Director of Engineering to lead its Engineering and R&D activities. This is a key role in the company with the ideal candidate bringing a combination of technical expertise in robotics, medical device product development, and strong leadership skills. In addition, in alignment with the mission of the company, the ideal candidate will bring a passion for building great products and experiences, the primary purpose of which is to improve the lives of patients, as well as their families and clinicians who care for them.
The Director of Engineering manages the entire Engineering and R&D department at Ekso. The team includes approximately 10 people with expertise in mechanical and electrical design, mechatronics, embedded software, control systems, and human-machine interfaces. The team responsibilities encompass both sustaining engineering for existing products as well as new and advanced product R&D. In addition, the Director of Engineering manages some aspects of Ekso’s quality system, such as document control and design controls.
While this is management position, the Director of Engineering should expect to provide a significant amount of technical input for new product development, including driving platform, system architecture, and technical roadmap decisions.
Due to the flat management structure at Ekso, the Director of Engineering is a high visibility position that works directly with the executive team on a regular basis. In addition to regular updates on development progress, the Director of Engineering is expected contribute to the overall management and provide input to critical strategic initiatives.
II. Essential Job Functions/Responsibilities:
- Manage Ekso’s talented Engineering team to deliver critical new products while also providing sustaining support to existing products
- Provide technical leadership for the team and Ekso overall
- Own product system architecture and technology direction in collaboration with the broader team
- Maintain and ensure adherence to Ekso’s Product Development Process
- Recruit and hire exceptional talent to build on the existing engineering team as need to deliver on product initiatives
- Collaborate with Product Management, Marketing and Sales to develop long term technical roadmap
- Actively contribute to strategic initiatives, including identifying potential M&A opportunities and performing technical due diligence.
- Manage the Ekso’s extensive IP and patent portfolio.
III. Position Skills / Requirements:
- 4-year Degree in Mechanical, Electrical, or Biomedical Engineering or Computer Science. Advanced degree strongly preferred
- 10+ years of experience working with robotics or complex electromechanical systems, preferably for medical device applications
- Demonstrated track record of successfully managing projects and/or teams to deliver advanced products to market
- Experience developing products in a structured development process (stage gate or similar)
- Ability to hire and manage quality team members, including outside developers
- Experience identifying, working with, and managing external development teams
- Ability to communicate effectively across all levels of the organization as well as with suppliers and customers
- Willingness to delegate or get hands dirty as dictated by the situation
- Comfortable presenting to, working with, and influencing Executive Management team.
- Can work effectively under pressure in a fast-paced, time-sensitive environment with shifting priorities and multiple deadlines
- Data drive problem solving skills using analytical tools (Excel, Python, etc.) as appropriate
- Attention to detail and excellent organizational skills
- Strong team player who can incorporate input from others and can generate consensus through inclusion
- Ability to travel potentially 10% time, both in the US and internationally
IV. Company Benefits:
- Ekso Bionics offers Medical, Dental, Vision, 401K plan, plus a bonus program.
V. How to Apply: