The Swiss Paraplegic Centre (SPC) was opened by Dr Guido A. Zäch in 1990. The SPC is a privately owned clinic which is acclaimed nationwide, specialising in primary care, acute treatment, comprehensive rehabilitation and lifelong care of people with spinal cord injury and similar syndromes. The SPC has 140 beds, including an intensive care unit. The annual bed occupancy is over 99%. In 2013, the SPC provided 50,500 days of care for 933 in-patients, 191 of those patients in initial rehabilitation. The SPC employs around 1100 people from 80 vocational backgrounds. The specialist clinic is part of the Swiss Paraplegic Group (SPG), which forms an integrated network for the comprehensive rehabilitation of people with spinal cord injury. The network is supported by the Swiss Paraplegic Foundation (SPF).